- Sam and Carol are married and will file a joint return.
- Sam is 54 years old, and Carol is 57 years old.
- Both were enrolled in self-only coverage High Deductible Health Plans (HDHPs) through their employers for the entire year of 2015.
- Sam and Carol each have an HSA.
- Both have contributed the maximum amounts to their HSAs in 2015.
- Sam and Carol are both U.S. citizens and have valid Social Security numbers.
5. Sam and Carol are both eligible to increase their contribution limit because Carol is age 55 or older.