Break-Even Sales Under Present and Proposed Conditions
BeeGee Company, operating at full capacity, sold 150,000 units at a price of $116 per unit during the current year. Its income statement is as follows:
Sales $17,400,000 Cost of goods sold 6,000,000 Gross profit $11,400,000 Expenses: Selling expenses $4,000,000 Administrative expenses 3,000,000 Total expenses 7,000,000 Income from operations $4,400,000
The division of costs between variable and fixed is as follows:
Variable Fixed Cost of goods sold 80% 20% Selling expenses 75% 25% Administrative expenses 70% 30%
Management is considering a plant expansion program for the following year that will permit an increase of $3,625,000 in yearly sales. The expansion will increase fixed costs by $1,000,000 but will not affect the relationship between sales and variable costs.
1. Determine the total variable costs and the total fixed costs for the current year.
Total variable costs $ Total fixed costs $
2. Determine (a) the unit variable cost and (b) the unit contribution margin for the current year.
Unit variable cost $ Unit contribution margin $
3. Compute the break-even sales (units) for the current year.
4. Compute the break-even sales (units) under the proposed program for the following year.
5. Determine the amount of sales (units) that would be necessary under the proposed program to realize the $4,400,000 of income from operations that was earned in the current year.
6. Determine the maximum income from operations possible with the expanded plant.
7. If the proposal is accepted and sales remain at the current level, what will the income or loss from operations be for the following year?
8. Based on the data given, would you recommend accepting the proposal?
- In favor of the proposal because of the reduction in break-even point.
- In favor of the proposal because of the possibility of increasing income from operations.
- In favor of the proposal because of the increase in break-even point.
- Reject the proposal because if future sales remain at the current level, the income from operations will increase.
- Reject the proposal because the sales necessary to maintain the current income from operations would be below the current year sales.
Choose the correct answer.
We guarantee 100% privacy throughout and after your interaction with us. Your identity is kept private as well as any additional information you provide to us. Our work is also 100% guaranteed to have zero plagiarism as well as help you pass in whichever course you are undertakin